FOCO – 100% Pure Coconut Water
As the holy month of Ramadan bestows upon us, many of us don’t realize that we are not drinking enough water to maintain the needed hydration level to maintain the health of our organs. A good way to fix this is to constantly keep check of how much water you’ve consumed within an hour and try to reach your daily goal before your next day of fasting. You should also start adding coconut water to your iftaar table. Why?
Coconut water is considered to be nature’s most refreshing drink, that is packed with nutrients and health benefits.
- Coconut water contains simple sugars & essential minerals to replenish dehydration conditions inside your body
- It contains cytokinins – which greatly aids in anti-aging, anti-carcinogenic (preventing or delaying the development of cancer cells), and anti-thrombotic (prevents the formation of blood clots)
- Contains Bioactive enzymes that aid in digestion and help boost your metabolism
- It has better composition of essential minerals (including calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, & zinc) in comparison to any other fruit
- An excellent source of B-complex vitamins (riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, & folates) that your body requires from an external source to stay replenished.
- Contains a significant amount of potassium and sodium electrolytes – replenishes electrolyte deficiency that occurs due to an intense workout or diarrhea (tmi, i know, but this fact could help you out some day)
Now that you know all these great facts about coconut water and why you should incorporate it to your diets asap, let me tell you more about the ones I drink during the holy month of Ramadan. Keep in mind that I still do intensive training right after iftaar 5 days a week.
I’m currently drinking FOCO 100% Coconut Water. It comes in 6 different flavors: pure coconut water, pineapple, mango, pink guava, lychee & pomegranate. It contains the 5 essential electrolytes that are needed especially by those who workout during Ramadan.
- Potassium – Helps recover energy & strength
- Sodium – Balances water levels in the body
- Calcium – Essential in developing bones & teeth
- Phosphorus – Enhances energy storage & supports the absorption of calcium
- Magnesium – Supports metabolic systems
It contains 0% fat, 0 cholesterol, no preservatives, no added sugar, and is low in calories ( all flavors are 50 kcal per serving of 240ml ) These drinks are also high in replenishing antioxidants.
I put these drinks to test today. After breaking my fast, I was tempted to drink a whole liter of water in one sitting, however doing so will just make me bloated, nauseous & unable to do my workout. So after a light meal, I grabbed the pineapple flavored coconut water and headed to the gym. To my surprise I was able to do my workouts and stay hydrated without feeling drained or sluggish. A sip or two between reps really helped me gather strength and not feel too thirsty. I still remember how much I suffered last Ramadan trying to balance hydration levels and having a good workout! Definitely going to get more of these soon!
Note: I haven’t come across this particular brand in carrefour, so I get mine from Zoom supermarket. They retail for 7/8 AED